Power Pair: Ruger SR1911CMD and Ruger SR45 Review

001_Ruger-SR1911CMD-and-SR45
It was a typical Tuesday here at Gun Abuse Central. An email in my inbox announced, “Patrick, overnight package arriving tomorrow. Need feature ASAP.”
video
No problem.
The box that arrived was plain, but inside were a pair of Ruger boxes. When I opened the first one, my reaction was, “Another SR? What now?” Considering the possibility that Ruger had done something just a bit odd, like chambering it in .357 SIG or .45 GAP, I dropped the magazine out of it as part of my “check and unload” routine. As I was holding the mag, my coffee-starved brain noticed that the magazine was not shaped like the 9mm and .40 I already have here. I turned the pistol over to see the model name: SR45. Wait a minute, this can’t be. The frame doesn’t feel any bigger than my 9 does. What trickery is this?
Well, it isn’t trickery but engineering, and unless you fondle one model and then the other, you won’t notice the difference between a 9mm, a .40 and a .45. And I’m not sure if you picked one up at random when blindfolded you could tell which was which. That’s how slim Ruger managed to make the new SR45.
click for video

005_Ruger-SR1911CMD-and-SR45